This blog is worth Rs.100

Last night, I got an email confirmation from company 'T' calling for interview. I had applied and had confirmed my availability over email. After seeing that email, I prepared all the documents required. I don't know why these companies ask for a '1 passport size photo'!

Saturday morning - I got ready and headed towards the interview location which was near Majestic. I arrived at the venue 10 minutes past 9 am which was the scheduled start. My assumption was that not many would turn up as early as 9am; that too on a Saturday. This assumption was true for the interviewers, not for interviewees.

Near the security at the gate, I was told that interview is held at the cafeteria on the top floor. The guard told, "take the stairs to the fifth floor." I was surprised and thought, "no elevator??" After walking up 5 floors, I saw 50 people already waiting there. Nobody was there from company 'T'. I was lucky to find a chair to sit which soon got filled up in the next few minutes. By 10 am, the place had 150 prospective people waiting in that hot place which was covered by metal sheet (asbestos). No fan, no drinking water, no information about the start time - that was the situation. Slowly, 2 persons walk around and confusion started. First announcement was - "This session is not for freshers". With that, few folks with bags on their back left the place.

No more announcements for the next 3 hours. The place was partitioned by 4 ping-pong tables. On one side sat the waiting prospects. On the other side was the testing ground. Spot boy visited the place 2-3 times asking those so-called 'elite Ts' for tea/coffee. I was frustrated with the behavior of the host company. Not even a welcome note, forget about water/snacks.

I was getting bored with nothing to do. I checked my emails on my cell, read some news on rediff, walked around a bit, didn't find a magazine/newspaper around. My waiting had reached its limit. By 12:30pm, I was about to tell 'T', "I need to go. Could you cancel my candidature?" But, on the other side of the mind, I felt, "Let me wait as I have come all the way waking up early on a Saturday morning. Once my name is called, I will go to there and first clarify what this walk-in process is all about." By 1pm, somebody called my name and told me to go to the first floor and meet the HR. Along with me, one more person was told to do the same. We went there and inquired just to be told, "Sorry, your profile didn't match the current project we are interviewing for. You may leave."

No steam was left inside me to talk more. I just thought that I had a huge story to write on my blog today. Person who came with me to the first floor had a worse story. He had come for interview at this same place last week too and was sent home. Since he received an email invite couple of days ago, he came again and had to be sent back this time too.

Finally, this blog is worth Rs.100 - this is the money I spent on Autorikshaw to travel from home and back. Apart from this, everything else turned out to be pure junk. About 'T' - it is among the top 4 Indian companies in the IT sector! From my experience, it looked worse than a Govt. office. In Govt. offices, only expectation is not to set any expectation. May be, these days, Govt. offices are better than before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India