Layman's term of software

"What does your son do?" In most cases, answer will be simple like - "Software". What actually is this term software? I really don't understand the term well even though I am partially in it. I might know just a drop in the big ocean.

Where did it all start? Is there an end to it? As far as I am concerned, it all started (for me atleast) with Microsoft's Windows picking up in the late 90s. I started with Windows 3.1 version on a 486 (80486) machine. All I was doing then was playing a shooter game and couple of other DOS based games. No internet facility though at that time. Later on, with internet booming in India, email started. For my bachelor's project, I used in net for searching for data and information about the then buzz acronym for me - 'DIP' (Digital Image Processing). By the time I moved out of India, email and chat had become popular.

For now, what all can one do with the so called 'Software'? hmmmm Everything. Talk with friends, watch your favorite movies online, pay bills online, manage personal calendar, write your thesis, etc. Infact, during my MS program, I tried out few 'role playing games' (RPG) wherein you can chat/drive/fly/shop/party etc online. Not to mention the functionality of showing 'emotions' in the game. If you want, try playing 'there.com' online. Attention!!! You are reading this because of the 'software technology' of blogging ;).

Is there an end to using 'Software'? Surely not. It has become just like any other media or entertainment. It is also like having engineers to build new cars or build skyscrapers. For a layman, all these are just things on a computer. On the other side, when TVs and other electronic gadgets came into our lives, did people start calling those engineers, "Electronics" when asked, "What does your son do?".

Comments

SimblyDimply said…
Worst dialogue is when mothers and fathers respond to "nimmaga yen madkondidare?" with "avanu computarru"! hehe!

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India