My wife says...

Its been a few weeks since my wife landed in the US and there are lots of things she found different, interesting, peculiar or funny. The moment we landed in the LA airport, she started feeling the difference. I am imagining similar people who land here for the first time and how this place looks to them.

The first thing she noticed was the thing that many will surely agree. She glanced through the long corridors and lounges in LA airport and felt that the airport is huge, really huge. She saw bags being carried by people - they were huge. We ordered for Chai Tea in Starbucks, she felt that the cups were too huge for a single person to drink. Finally, she saw couple of cops standing at the door. She was really shaken by their size! I was finally asked, "what is this place? Everything is huge here??? Buildings, food served, people, etc???!!!"

Coming to food - all must read! Food in US is BAD till you get used to it. When flying from LA to SLC, I asked for tea and my wife peacefully wanted coffee. I was drinking sip by sip and she was looking at me for a moment and coffee for the next moment. She was thinking, "what is this dark drink???? Is it really coffee or some water with some dark powder mixed in it???" First timers in US really don't like the coffee here because it tastes awfully bad compared to coffee in India.

"Shall we have Mexican food for dinner?", was my question. A grand "Yes" was her answer. I took her to my favorite Mexican restaurant to have "Bean, Rice and Cheese Burrito - Enchilada style with Pinto bean and mild sauce. Lettuce and tomato with it." Firstly - my wife didn't understand the order at all!!! We started eating - fork and knife style which is new to her. I was half done, she was just cutting in. I was almost done, she came to a point where she saw rice inside the burrito. She asked, "What a stupid thing to put rice inside chapati???!!! Mann, these people don't know to eat good food." I was done with dinner!

One afternoon, I was busy at work and had to get her some lunch from outside. This was actually my first day at work after we came from India. She didn't know much about my kitchen. I got her a 6-inch Italian Herbs and Cheese bread, toasted, lettuce, tomato, bell peppers, pickle, jalapeño, mustard, chipotle sauce, salt & pepper - Sandwich. Surprisingly, she liked it. Yahoo!!!

Other night, she was asking me, "what is this? You haven't got me pizza till now???" So, I ordered pizza - No mushrooms, no olives, add pineapple and jalapeño. After tasting this, she felt like being in India eating the same pizza there!

Driving and roads - She gets totally confused to sit in passenger seat and see me yield for a left turn at the signal. Things like following speed limit and no honking are things she wants to break if she is given a chance to drive. Her first impression of my driving - "I drive slow"!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Ha ha. Nice blog. You can make a video documentary of all these things and upload on Youtube.

Another place which you may consider is Sweet Tomatoes! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India