Stars on earth

I completed my Science and English tests yesterday and I have Social Studies and Maths test tomorrow. Last evening, I was doing maths and today too, most of the day, I revised Maths. I didn't touch Social Studies at all. I am sure to fail tomorrow in that exam - This is what I saw in my dreams last night. That is because, I used to find Social Studies, especially History, too touch. More than that reason, my wife and I watched "Taare zameen par".

It is so true that some of those incidences really happen to kids. In my 5th Standard, there was my best friend, whom we called, 'mungeri lal'. That was when a television serial, 'mungeri lal ke haseen sapney' was popular. My friend used to imitate that character's eye movement and that is how this guy got his name. His hand writing was really illegible. In the end, he was detained in 5th for his poor performance. I recollected him a lot while watching this.

Couple of other 'school day' nostalgia -
1) Because guys used to talk/fight a lot, they were made to side in-between two girls. That meant, the class had girl-boy-girl seating arrangement.
2) Class monitor was usually a girl - who put full 'maska' to class teacher. She also talked better "tussa-pussa English" and always complained against boys if she was troubled.
3) Teachers were of two kinds - many really strict and couple of them, really soft and jovial. Strict teachers punished a lot for sure.
4) Nothing in life was more hated than daily homework.
5) There was atleast one kid in class with nose always souring. Note that, his/her (mostly his) nose used to sour from one nostril only and the kid would sometimes put his tongue out and just sip it to avoid the trouble of removing kerchief from his pocket.
6) There was always 1 (sometimes 2-3) boy in the class who would be studious and act like girls (this was perception of boys). If that boy gets to know the mischiefs, other boys are going to be punished real bad - worse than the situation of class monitor's complaint. Why so? Because, 'a girl complaining about a boy was thought to be normal' and 'a boy complaining against another boy' was a more serious issue!' On the contrary, there were also 1-2 girls who were ready to take against any boy of the class!
7) Lastly, exams were full nightmare for kids and their moms. I hated the tests because, I liked looking at the text book and writing answers to questions - call it a copy cat type ;).

Comments

SimblyDimply said…
LOL. What was funny was your usage of 'souring' for a kanglish word 'sooring' from the kannada root 'sooru'. hahah!
Unknown said…
Srivallabha?? I wonder what he is up to these days. I vividly remember his mom visiting your class so often.

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India