Met a renouned vocalist last night

Last night, I got a chance to meet one of the popular Hindustani vocalists - Arati Ankalikar . My colleague was hosting her in Bangalore during her visit and he invited me for an informal session with this artist.

Around 25 had gathered at his house and we had very good time discussing the nuances of music.

Some of the points which came to my mind:

1) People gathered there were all young musicians and were talking a lot about music. One thing to understand is - As performers, one should make sure their music is kept simple which can really touch the common audience (who might not understand music).

2) Classical music is something which needs some basic influence to like it. My brother compares it to Coffee - the more you taste it, the better is your experience. Initially though, both are hard to taste.

3) For being a musician, it is just passion - no money can drive a musician. Nobody will say as a kid of 10 year old, "I will become a musician and earn my living". Even a music teacher in a school with 10 students would have taken this path as an earning source because, he/she likes music. To put it in a different way, music needs full dedication - singing in a blue moon doesn't make one a musician, he/she is just a 'lover of music' and nothing more. I say this because, being a musicians means being a performer. If they don't perform for the audience, there is very difference between that person and a common man.

The session was a very interesting one. Arati is a very talented singer with lot of enthusiasm and energy. If someone wants to learn to captivate the audience, I think Arati is the best person to learn from.

Lastly, I forgot to mention her popular album - She is the main singer in Sham Benagal's movie, Sardari begum.

Comments

Unknown said…
Sham Benegal? You forgot your own first name? :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India