Leaf

Traveling in train, I am seeing trees zooming past me. With nothing to read, I just am thinking of writing something real quick. It is a challenge to myself to jump from one idea to another to create a flow. The topic I choose is “leaf”. Yes. Leaf. The idea is this – "what all do I recollect the instant “leaf” comes into my mind?". It is just a game I am playing for myself –Time limit = 20 minutes, I need to scribble something.

Leaf – First thing coming to my mind about a leaf is its distinct color. Leaf is one of the first things taught to us as green in color.

Jumping from there, banana leaf L. I miss the banana leaf food – food eaten on banana leaf. Why don’t people in the West get a taste of it? It is such an old method of ‘disposable’ plates ;).

My drawing exam – Junior Drawing exam had banyan leaf to be drawn with typical grains and marks as seen on all the five leaves. I just know that we were all given that 5-leaf stem and asked to draw that in 3 hours. It was real great experience to do that art work to the best of our ability. It is the best way to represent nature in real close-up.

How can I forget Phyllotaxy???? Ha ha ha. Pre-University Botany subject had all complex information about leaf – Simple leaf, compound leaf, I really don’t recollect the exact names, but here are the types of leaves – leaves having parallel grains; leaves with a certain arrangement; leaves having certain shapes; and all classifications. Two words striking big are - Xylem and Phloem - cross section of leaf !!!

Touch me not – Don’t you get this in mind? As a kid, I was always fascinated with the reaction of ‘touch-me-not’ once I touched it. So interesting!

I have couple more minutes remaining. Real slow am I L.

I must not forget to mention the Fall colors of New England. It is the best and most beautiful thing once can imagine of New England. As I am looking out now, I see green leaves on the trees. Couple of months from now, I will be fortunate to see spectacular colors making me carry my digital eye all the time ;).

Leaf also reminds me of fancy dress competitions when I was a kid. “Jungle kid” is a common dress put to kids by sticking leaves on them ;). Somehow I hated that arrangement.

Gardening! Yes. I remember collecting dry leaves and depositing at one place to make it decompose. We, at our house, used to make compost out of fallen leaves.

Time out! Stop arrived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India