Jyothi, Jyothi, Jyothi

I am just back from "cloud nine", the place of dreams and fantasy and there is no space for the so called 'world'. It is so weird to start a blog like this. The title too is a word repeated thrice. I have many other options for the title, like, "visit to Chinmaya Mission, Boston", "Phil's Surprise Birthday Party", "Party filled with music", etc. But, let me stick to the one I chose and will mention why it was chosen. This is a blog where names are not hidden in algebra like, person A or person B. I name people here AS IS because, the whole blog gets weight by that.

It was Phil Scarff's 50th year Birthday which was arranged by his wife, Megha, at the Chinmaya Mission, Andover, MA. It was an hour's drive for me with the birthday balloons filling my back seat. After reaching the venue, it was time to arrange for the party scheduled to start at 2PM. It started well with Noram, who is a Jazz Guitarist. It was my turn to sing - I sang a small piece in the raaga, hamsadhwani. After I sang, everyone in the audience were like, "I want to touch your throat and see what's in there". The ambiance was perfect and I was experimenting with my newest friend, Vinay, to accompany me on the keyboard. I announced, "I will stop at this point." The reaction of people, "We will bring you back."

Snacks were served and music started again. Few kids performed on the instruments and a few sang. Jerry, a Tabla exponent and a member of the Natraj band (headed by Phil), played a African music piece for which his wife did the ballet. Vinay came back and sang a few pieces. My turn again! I sang a couple of nice pieces. The place was so good and the feeling was perfect to enjoy and sing. Jerry on the Tabla added extra flavor to my singing. Vinay too did a good job on following me on the keyboard. One big guy in the audience enjoyed it with great feeling as though I am piercing his heart with music - Marc Rossi

It is priceless to go to a concert of people in the ranks of Natraj Band and Marc Rossi. Here was the moment to enjoy that music so close. Marc (Keyboard), Mike (Base), Jerry (Tabla), Phil (Saxophone) played a composition in Madhuvanthi leading to Ahirbhairav - A super synchronization of the four to create touching music. Dinner was served. 5PM now.

Marc Rossi = A R Rehman of the West. Right now, he is busy eating. I see him and give a smile. He stops eating and frees his hand from food to shake hands and acknowledge, "you sing beautifully. You are simply awesome." Dinner is over.

People around are having food. Marc and I are done with food and are into music discussion. Discussion went to a point of my singing earlier in the raaga Pantuvarali (Puryadhanushri). Marc runs to Keyboard, I run to microphone and switch on the Tambura. Marc's magic in music is unbelievable. He just put me in that express train of music and my mouth blasted out with super music. It was informal exchange of music which suddenly became a stage show for people around.

Marc is a Composer, Pianist, Orchestra expert, and a faculty at a music school. Catching him out of the blue was a boon to me. I was scheduled to meet him in a couple of weeks for a project. But, this was a perfect prelude of what is expected to come out of that project. OK now. Coming back to the party - He asked me to sing 'banturiti' in the raaga hamsanada. And then, kaanada and then, Kalyani. At this point, I wanted to really pierce his musical heart with a unique piece.

A song in the raaga Jyothi made him loose a few extra pounds he has. By this time, we had fewer audience, actually, most were in the dining room. I sang that song once. People came in from the dining room. Marc told them, "hey, here is a kick piece of Muttuswamy Dixitar in the raaga Jyothi. Shyam, could you sing it once for them?" I sang it the second time. His mind was immersed in it, I knew it. For a song which ends in 2 minutes, the feeling is like eating a very tasty dessert, but has been served only 2 spoons of it. Marc had no hesitation to ask, "Could you please sing that once more for me?" I sang the same piece three times in a row. Can't believe Marc Rossi is asking me to sing! Hence the title!

I felt blessed being there. Everyone came to me to wish for doing a good job. It got busy when people started queuing to take my contact info. Once I gave it to a couple of them, people said, "great, don't worry. We will take it from them." Marc on the other side was more into details. He came out with a paper and pen. First thing he told was to write the details of every piece I sang today and then write the contact info. Not less than 10 times he has told, 'call me next week'.

Comments

Unknown said…
BHALE!!!!! BHALE!!!!!!!! BHALE!!!!!!!! I can quite imagine the excitement.. too bad I wasnt there to see you capture Marc Rossi with Jyoti. Great Shyama! Bond neenu..chacchu..this is just the beginning..

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India