Why did I hate History in school?

It is boring to remember 100s of names and 1000s of dates. Who came and who died next? Why people fought there and when? They all won or lost the battles/wars. 'mujhe kya lena dena?'. This is what I felt when I was studying History in school.

Now I know why that History teacher was teaching History ;). Recently, I am going through a book on World History and get these questions, "Who is there to prove all these? Are these really true?". Many of the current texts on History are written by person X/person Y and not many have questioned them. For example, the buzz topic, "Aryan invasion"! (Read here). While reading history about other countries/continents, I am just assuming that whatever is there in the book is true.

Even pre-civilization history is one thing I always question. All those BCs - 1900 BC , 1700 BC.., who knows whether it really happened then? ;). If I want to write a fiction, I will write about me going back in time and running through those days real quick. I wish to see how people conquered places, how religions spread, how science improved, etc.

"I hate History" is now a history ;).

Comments

Unknown said…
I see that the Aryan invasion itch is catching up with you also.. blame me and "you know who"!
aequo animo said…
In my view: History is always written with an ulterior motive or for propaganda. Objective History is an oxymoron.
Likes of Macauly/ Mueller had one motive and likes of MM Joshi had another, leaving the searchers of facts in a limbo.
History, like religion is only useful to create rifts or as fiction :)

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India