Music for Dummies

Music is one type of knowledge which doesn't have shortcuts. One needs to cross all the stages to enjoy singing. I was sitting in my music class listening to my guru teaching a small kid. My guru was teaching one of the basic lessons in Kalyani. Kid's mom was sitting too. I am assuming she brings the kid to class twice a week. This is what I thought....

Mom brings this kid to class so sincerely twice a week. This kid is learning the basics of music now. How do these kids understand the importance of music? Won't these basic lessons bore them to quit? Is there a short cut to learning music? What incentive do these kids who learn music get?

Answers to these are found from my own experiences. Firstly, I realize now that music once taken in is as good as nectar. I enjoy it by knowing music. I am not answering the questions of a listener who is a music lover, rather, I am trying to see to find answers to questions based on my learning of music as a child.

As a kid, I did sing well to get lot of appreciation from people around. Apart from that incentive, I didn't understand the soothing aspect of it. I didn't know that music can be thrilling or that music can create joy within me. When my guru taught basic lessons, I learned them with ease. Few instances, I could not replicate what the teacher taught. At that point, I remember the teacher stressing that part again and again. My first reaction was to cry. Why cry??? That's because I didn't get the lesson right.

Did I feel like quitting? Oh yeah! Even now I feel it once a while. When we were in Hubli, my brother and I played cricket every evening. Our teacher came home for music lessons at 5:30pm. At that point, we had to cut down our game which frustrated me a lot. I had complained mom many times to tell the teacher to come after dusk :). If the teacher didn't agree to this, I was even ready to quit music. ha ha ha.

Last week, one of my new friends at office was asking me complicated things in music. He is a beginner and I told him, "Please continue learning and keep practising. You will get to know the things you asking pretty soon."

Like many books for dummies, I am thinking of bringing out one for music ;).

Comments

I am said…
no wonder I suck at it so much :)

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India