My friends at work

Who is a friend? One who wishes to interact with you for no gains. I have few people at work who have big smiles when they see me. I will go in the order I meet them daily.

1) My cab driver - I am the only person to talk to him I think. I talk to him right from petrol price to why he puts seat belt when approaching office building. I also discuss how people drive and how we are cheated in petrol bunks. He gives me newspaper to read! Nobody gets that privilege.

2) Security Guy #1 - There are many security personnel, but, this one is special. When I enter the building, I, among the bunch of other people entering, get "Good morning, Sir" greetings. Why is this? That is because - way back (4 months ago) when I first entered our office, I wished him the same! Since then, every day, I get this. And evening too, I get a 'salaam and smile' too.

3) Cafe Coffee day guy - Usually at 10am, I head for coffee to the automatic vending machine in the breakroom. This guy is waiting to see me every day. If I am late, I am asked, "Hello Sir, I see that you are late for coffee today. Were you busy?" After my vacation, he inquired about me. Sometimes, I go taking my team-mates along. When this guy starts talking to me, my team-mates are surprised.

4) Janitor - This is a hindi guy mostly seen around restroom. Whenever I visit the restroom, I see him. Once, I asked him, "I always see you here, how long do you work per day?" He said, "12 hours." He is responsible in maintaining the restroom sparkling clean. After seeing his work, I told him, "I too have been in this job before." Even before I could complete my sentence, he asked, "Where sir? Which Company? In Bangalore only?" I said, "No, not here. In America." He still thinks, that I have become engineer (someone who sits in desk and works) by getting myself promoted from Janitor job :). Whenever I see him, he wishes me and asks, "Are you done with lunch?" People around are !!! to see me talking to him :)

I really enjoy interacting with people like these. They really have that affection and respect. They like being enquired about their day-to-day activities. There are not many friends for them to talk to at work. I think, they would want someone to talk to during their 10-12 hours at office. Otherwise, it will be more of silence to them.

Being in US taught me to treat these people equal to everyone. This is surely not a norm in India. I think they do they job with great sincerity and everyone has to respect that. Seeing these people reminds me of one episode of my life - Just to have that pleasure of earning extra bucks, I once went with my fellow janitor to a movie theatre. This was after finishing our, 9:30pm to 1:30 am job at the University. At the theatre, we worked for couple more hours. In the end, I earned those $20 bucks ($10/per) for giving a helping hand to my fellowman.

Comments

Unknown said…
What do you mean by, "This is not a norm in India?" Haven't you seen Munnabhai MBBS, where Dr.Munna Bhai gives jaadu ki jhappi to everybody?
I am said…
This is so true :) Shayma..

Treating everybody equal with respect and no job is demeaning can only be learnt and experienced here in the US :)

A very good post :)
nostalgic nostalgic :)
Unknown said…
You know what? In 1994, I made a trip to Singapore (as a tourist). The guy who came with me was my dads car driver! It was wonderful to see and enjoy his expressions starting from boarding the flight, to landing back in India!

The other friend was a very rich guy. If I had went him, I am sure he would say "I liked it better in US, more better in U.K...blah blah..."

The driver told me that he would never had an chance in life if it was not for me. In his house, the wall is full of trip photos and not even a inch to spare. Best Wallpaper!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India