Story of a new Bangalorean

It was 5:30pm and I was sitting in the shuttle after the day's work. Minutes later, one gentleman asked the shuttle driver, “Does this bus go near Jayanagar 6th Block?” After a quick 'Yes', he got into the bus really satisfied to sit and get settled. Seeing a new face who was heading towards so called 'my area of Bangalore South', I was curious to know about his whereabouts. Got to know that he was from Nagpur and had come here for his internship. This was his Day 1.

Before I could ask the next curious question of, “how did you come to office in the morning?”, Mr.N started narrating a story. Couple of other passengers in the shuttle were on phone. The story started as an interesting one and was turning out a thriller. After my co-passengers had cut the phone, I told this guy to stop the story there and restart from the beginning to get the context. Here goes his story as his narration:

Today is my first day in Bangalore and I took the BMTC (local bus transport) to reach office in the morning. My cell phone got stolen in the morning. I saw the guys who picked the phone from my pocket. It all happened near Domlur Bus Stop when I was getting down the bus. As it was too much of mad rush, I couldn't get down the bus easily. Just then, 2 men barged inside the bus pushing me aside. I managed to get down and the bus started off. When I looked in to my pocket, my cell phone was gone. Just then, I realised that it was that push by men when I got down the bus which could have caused this incident. The bus had stopped at the next traffic signal. Without waiting, I ran to the bus and nabbed one of those 2 men and shouted, “You thief, return my cell phone.” He started arguing - “Which cell phone? I don't have any phone.” I pushed him out of the bus and the bus started to move. As I was questioning this guy, his accomplice got down from the bus and he too joined the argument. It came upto a point that, both started to tell, “Check out pockets. We don't have your phone.” When I checked, I couldn't find my phone with them. People around had gathered to witness the scene. Traffic police just round the corner was watching from far and not disturbed by this quarrel. Crowd told me to give a call to my cell phone and check. One Auto-rickshaw driver gave me his cell to try. When I called, one person picked up the phone. “I am in Domlur Bus Stop. Come there and take your phone.” I grabbed these two guys and went to that place to find out that the guy who picked up the phone is not there. I called my phone again.

That guy picked up the phone again and told that he is half a Kilometer away in a restaurant. I didn't want to go there leaving these 2 guys here. Auto drivers went there and caught hold of that guy. When they returned, I got my lost cell phone. By this time, these two fellows had got enough beatings from public around. I am pretty sure that these two had picked the phone from my pocket and had thrown it when they noticed me chasing them. If that third person also belonged to their gang, then, he is a very bad thief. He doesn't know that he shouldn't pick calls on a stolen phone. He might have thought that his team members are calling him to check the phone.

I came to office and was getting settled. By that time, auto driver called me again. This time, it was the police who made the auto driver call me. Reason – Police are telling that auto drivers are also behind this gang. Police were questioning these drivers and wanted a investigation. By the time I reached the scene again, the place was peaceful and back to routine. No proof of any commotion.

That was Mr.N's story. A Real thriller, right? Oh. Forgot to mention – Mr.N is from IIM, Ahmedabad!

Comments

Unknown said…
Did your friend pay the auto driver or the person who had the cell phone? Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWeBpTPA8H8
Kumudha said…
Engaging blog...

Enjoyed seeing old coins.

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India