Project on Dikshitar

I am working on a project on Muttuswamy Dikshitar - a project which will be on display during my concert on Sept 20 on the occasion of Navaraatri. I am requested to sing Devi krithis composed by Dikshitar.

After reading articles about the compositions made by Dikshitar and the life he led, it is a very divine experience to sing his compositions without even elaborating the raaga or kalpana-swara.

Some of the snippets I found out which were interesting to me:
1) Dikshitar composed more than 85% of the songs using M1 (shuddha-madyama).
2) Maximum krithis are composed in Shankarabharana and its derivatives.
3) All his krithis are in Sanskrit except 2 - 1 in Telugu and 1 in Manipravalam (combination of Sanskrit, Telugu and Tamil).
4) Shiva has been the main theme of Dikshitar songs with nearly 130 krithis.

There are lots of things which was new to me including the 'shri-chakra' and its importance.
More info at the concert!

Comments

Unknown said…
Interesting.... More info please...

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India