Smithsonian

It was a day full of "Smithsonian". Washington DC = Smithsonian, is my equation.

Taking the Orange Metro from Fairfax/Vienna Station to Smithsonian Station, I started exploration of the museum by noon. Smithsonian is an institution of museums right at the heart of Washington DC. It is THE world's largest museum complex. I could do a fast trip of half of it today, the rest is reserved for tomorrow.

Map of Smithsonian

Trains system everywhere in the US (and Europe) are almost the same. Today being a holiday, I could see lots of people with kids in the train. One family of 4 with two kids barged in at the last minute. With a couple of seats remaining, I thought they will be taken by the two kids, but turned out different. The couple settled in those seats with kids standing, holding the bar. One of the boys was very sharp and used to ask a lot of questions - "where is this train going?" , "which is our stop?", "how fast is the train going?", "are the trees going to fall soon?", etc. For a couple of simple questions, his mom was just able to answer. For most of his questions, mom's answer was a "I don't know" in that same style all the time. Mom got bored with his questions and she started teaching him math. She showed him the map and told him, "7 more stops remaining". Now, it was her game; after each stop, the tough question to the 4 year old kid would be, "how many more stops remaining?" Kid's answer (with fingers open and doing the typical hand count), "six????", "five????" ... etc. Mom twisted the question now, "how many did we cross after we got in?" The kid has to do a different math now, [7-(remaining stops)] ;). Wowwww great answer, was mom's reply with a hi-five!

End of that story! Not to mention, that gang also was heading to Smithsonian and I clashed with them a couple of times. When I got down at Smithsonian stop and started walking, it was super experience reminding me of India. Why??? Toooooo many people. When I entered the museum of Natural History, again, tooooo many people. It was just like a village fair in India with lots and lots of people with family.

Natural History Museum is filled with fossils and related matters. A section of it has real size models of many animals which is worth seeing. The dinosaurs section is interesting too. Up in the second floor is the Gems museum with "Hope Diamond", which has a history of its own. FYI, it is from India!

Freer Gallery has artifacts from India, China, Korea, Japan and Mediterranean. I will have to write something on these things later with some research and questions.
Smithsonian Station

Ending my day tour with a motion photography of the metro train. Did I tell you that there is no entry fee for Smithsonian?!

Update - I published this blog in the evening. After dinner, we planned to go for Dhoom2. I really missed the one who was there when I watched Dhoom. If there will be anything like Dhoom3, I surely won't miss the two who were there today. BTW, Who did I miss today then? aree woheee - Esha.

Comments

micromysore said…
sooper le ..
hengithu movie ?

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India