My (our) first concert

I was practising today which took me back our practise sessions before our first concert. 'Our' here is referred to my brother and I. It was like making a ODI cricket debut!

What was the feeling before the concert?
I was not worried about the performance. I just had in my mind that whatever comes up on stage will be fine. With sufficient practise, we were confident with the game plan. At that moment, I thought, "If we make a mistake, it will be because of lack of concert experience and audience will not be too critical about it".

What was it singing for the first time?
It was a bit different after burning my tongue! Just before the concert, we were served hot 'badam' milk - I didn't know that it was extra hot. That kept aside, it was a good experience. The place was open air with temporary structure built. We had sung 'ninne nammithinayya' (in the raaga simhendramadhyama set to mishra chapu taala) as the main piece of the concert. Because the stage was open air and next to the road, we had few noises of auto-rickshaws which can be heard in the audio recording.

Post concert???
Debut concert was sung according to the plan. First things learnt - a) not to drink any hot drink before the concert, b) microphone can be both, boon and curse, depending on how it is setup and how we use it, c) singing in public is different from singing within four walls in the house.

Oh! I forgot to mention - moments after the concert was concluded, rain god appeared with a heavy shower which made everyone run for shelter. It was November and not a monsoon season for people to have umbrellas ready :(. Quick rain was a good test to the 'fitness' of my constume which was 'panche-jubba' (traditional South Indian constume).

Few years down the lane (ie., now), here is the difference
a) Not much of tension when it comes to what to sing
b) More matured rendition
c) No more worries of loosing of panche ;).

Comments

Smi said…
Did you ever think of the possiblility of your singing invoking the rain gods..a la Tansen?:))
SimblyDimply said…
Well-timed and much needed post for me! Thanks,I feel much relieved.

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India