visa interviews of Chennai

Today, I was recollecting the days of visa interview at Chennai. That security, the waiting time inside, the anxiety of what questions will be asked, that final moment of relief once visa is approved... and what not.

To be short on my episode of visa interview, it lasted for 20-odd days!!! When I went inside at 8am, I thought of coming out by noon and catching the train back at 3pm. Little did I know that people suspect me for something else - reason for this being, my Bachelor's degree certificate which was issued when I was working in the Middle East. Secondly, me holding a Saudi Arabia visa which was still valid on the date of interview.

Once I went in, my name was not called at the counter till 3pm. When I approached in the end, one lady comes to me and tells, "your application is under scrutiny. We cannot return your documents right now. You can go now and we will return all papers with the status of application". Just at that moment, I went dumb and didn't have anything to talk or ask. Outside, I had missed my train. Caught a bus in the night. After 20+ days, they sent me all the documents with visa approved! But, those 20-odd days were almost a 'standstill'. I had no idea what to plan next - get a job in B'lore just in case I miss the visa, OR, be positive about visa, which I eventually did.

The whole environment of visa interview is somewhat stressful. People who plan for higher studies really dream to come here and achieve greater heights in career. For those in with such dreams, I pity them who don't make it across the oceans. I don't know the scene of approval percentage. But, 5 years ago, it was like spinning a fortune wheel - with 60% of the blocks in the wheel being "reject".

This Summer, I am seeing many of my friends' parents visiting the US and going through the process of appearing for an interview. I hope whoever applies for a visit gets it without any hassle.

Comments

Smi said…
True. Student visas are probably the hardest to get!
I remember when I went to the consulate for my L1 PA three years ago, I watched atleast 90% of the aspirant students being shown the door!
Guess it's only the "BEP" folks that almost never run into problems!

Popular posts from this blog

Music+Food at Kamat Bugle Rock

Visiting Badami-Aihole-Pattadakal

Returning back to India